Using Organic Massage Oils and Lube is Not Only Safer, They Come with Added Benefits. Here's Why You Should Make the Switch Today
Most of us don’t sit around the dinner table discussing personal lubricants and massage oils. But maybe we should.
A whopping 48.7 million Americans acknowledge using personal lubricants. It’s difficult to find stats regarding how many people use massage oil, but it’s safe to say that plenty of Americans utilize these products.
Even though most sexually active people use lube and/or sensual massage oil, these products are often seen as somewhat taboo. Many people quickly shop for lube and squirrel it home in a paper bag. Or, in the case of massage oils, it’s easy to reach for the cheapest option without giving the choice much thought.
Here’s the trouble: By not thinking carefully about the products we use during our romantic or sexual encounters (or even just a plain old massage!), we may be putting our bodies at risk. That’s because many commercial products contain potentially harmful ingredients that can cause a host of issues, from provoking skin inflammation to increasing the risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
Because nobody should have to worry about harming their body while having sex or enjoying a massage, we think it’s important to spread the word that it’s possible to enjoy healthier, just-as-pleasurable sex or massages with the use of organic, natural lubes and organic massage oils.
Here are some of the issues with conventional lubricants and massage oils—plus several stellar ingredients that can serve as natural alternatives. We’ll also review the best massage oil and personal lubricant for folks who want to enjoy pleasure the healthier way.
Even though oils can bring us a lot of pleasure, many commercial products are hiding some nasty downsides. For example:
- Many conventional lubes and massage oilsinclude parabens. Parabens have earned a bad rap of late—and for good reason. These common preservatives have been shown to disrupt hormone production and cause a cascade of negative health effects in the process; in the most extreme cases, they’ve been linked to breast cancer and reproductive issues.
- Many conventional lubes and massage oilsare full of other toxic ingredients. Commercial products aren’t just brimming with parabens—many of them also utilize other potentially harmful chemicals such as chlorhexidine, petroleum (or petroleum-based ingredients), phenoxyethanol, propylene glycol (which is also found in antifreeze), and silicone-based ingredients. Together, these ingredients have been linked to a host of issues ranging from skin irritation to toxicity, reproductive damage, impaired immune system function, and even cancer.
- Conventional lubes may alter vaginal pH and increase the risk of infection. One study found that common personal lubricant brands such as K-Y Jelly were associated with an altered pH balance in the vagina, which can increase the risk of vaginal infections and potentially lead to discomfort. This helps explain why another study found that women who utilized baby oil or petroleum jelly as a personal lube were more likely to develop yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis.
- Conventional lubes have been associated with an increased risk of STIs. One study found that people who consistently used lube for anal intercourse during the previous month were more likely to test positive for gonorrhea or chlamydia. The study’s authors theorized this is because the ingredients in the lube provoked inflammation, which makes bodily tissues more prone to tearing—and therefore more susceptible to infection.
- Conventional lubes may cause irritation. When we use lube, it gets all up in some of the most sensitive areas of our body. So when we use lubes with harsh chemicals, those sensitive bits are likely to experience irritation. This helps explain why a number of commercial lubricants have been show to provoke irritation or allergic reactions. That’s especially true for lubes that include fragrances, antibacterial agents, and/or parabens.
Those may sound like some scary side effects, but the good news is they’re completely avoidable. All it takes is a willingness to seek out products containing natural, organic ingredients in lieu of potentially harmful chemicals.
Here’s a good rule of thumb when it comes to personal lubes and massage oils: If you can’t identify or pronounce an ingredient listed on the package, it’s probably smart to consult the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database to see if the ingredient is associated with any adverse effects.
Or you could spare yourself the internet sleuthing by sticking to ingredients that are recognizable—and recognized as being good for sensitive tissues. Here are five stellar, natural ingredients that can provide the glide you’re looking for (whether for sex or massage) without any harmful downsides.
Organic Calendula Oil
You may be familiar with calendula as an ingredient that’s often used in skin-relieving creams. So it probably makes sense that it’s been shown to help prevent infection (thanks in large part to its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties), treat skin irritations, reduce inflammation, and speed up healing. It’s also packed with skin-friendly antioxidants.
Organic Castor Oil
Castor oil has been linked to several beneficial properties. Among other benefits, it’s antibacterial—which helps explain why it’s been shown to fight infections and can even help heal wounds. It’s also been shown to relieve itching and swelling and generally have a soothing effect.
Organic Coconut Oil
There’s a reason coconut oil has become one of the most popular health foods around. It’s jam-packed with good-for-you nutrients including lauric acid, vitamin E, and healthy fats. These qualities don’t just enhance your diet; they can also contribute to a healthy lubricant for sex or a natural massage oil. Coconut oil has been shown to help moisturize skin (without changing skin pH), offer protection from microbial infections, help treat viral and/or bacterial infections, and generally promote healing—thanks in large part to its potent antioxidant activity.
Organic Shea Butter
This soothing ingredient makes an ideal addition to a personal lubricant or massage oil for a number of reasons. For starters, it’s been shown to be a powerful ally in preventing and soothing inflammation. Research also suggests shea butter can help reduce skin irritation. Together, these qualities may reduce the risk of infection in sensitive tissues.
Organic Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil doesn’t just add healthy fats to your cooking; it can also add a number of benefits to vaginal lubricants and massage oils. Among other perks, it’s been shown to increase hydration in the skin, reduce inflammation, and fend off infection. And it does it all without harming the skin barrier.
Looking to enjoy the perks of personal lube without any of the potential downsides? Then it’s important to invest in products that feature healthy, organic, and natural ingredients.
We’re a little biased, but we think our Organic Massage Oil and Personal Lubricant is one of the oils and on the market.
For starters, we’ve left out all of the potentially toxic and harmful ingredients that are so often found in commercial lubricant products. This means our lube is paraben-free, silicone-free, petrolatum-free, preservative-free, mineral-oil-free, non-toxic, cruelty-free, and edible.
After taking out all the bad stuff, we added in all the good stuff—in the form of every single one of the stellar ingredients listed above. Together, these USDA organic ingredients are shown to:
- Provide a smooth glide—without any residue
- Deeply hydrate and nourish skin cells
- Make skin more soft and supple
- Fight fungus, bacteria, and yeast
Our fully edible massage oil and personal lubricant suits all your bedtime needs: Not only does it offer a smooth glide, but it also hydrates, nourishes, and soothes—leaving your skin as satisfied as you are.
Our non-greasy formula is perfect for people of all genders and also works as a vaginal moisturizer that helps fight bacteria, fungus, and yeast.
Whether you’re looking to enhance your intimacy with your significant other, treat your special someone with a massage, or simply enjoy some time to yourself, we’ve come up with a safe, effective, and healthy formula that’s good for you and your sensitive bits.
Enjoying more fun, less mess, and healthier skin? That sounds like the ultimate pleasure.